background

Monday, November 7, 2011

Johnny Appleseed - I loved this unit/lesson.

I was intially inspired and recreated the fabulous ideas of Abby from The Inspired Apple!


We started off by reading Johnny Appleseed by Steven Kellogg and the Prince dictated the answers to his first-next-then-last worksheet, it would be wayyy to much writing for him and I never want to discourage his 5-yr-old brain :).


We followed the book with this cute poster from BabblingAbby identifying the main idea and a few details.



Here the Prince is cutting hair for his personal Johnny A. HERE is the template for Johnny A.



VIOLA! Johnny A. with the main idea and one detail from the book, Johnny Appleseed.



Completing a cut and past Johnny A. sequencing worksheet.



There is no way I could let the unit on Johnny A. be complete with making applesauce, so I peeled and the Prince cored.



He also diced. His knife is a lettuce cutter!



He added ingredients, mixed and placed on the stovetop to cook.



He mashed and then he shared, a little.

I must tell you that this was truly a yummy, and I mean yummy, applesauce.

Ingredients

3 golden delicious apples, diced
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 c. water

Mix all ingredients together, boil over medium heat for 20 minutes, mash and enjoy!


I found some free GREAT A-B-C apple order sheets and activities on The First Grade Parade. So let's look at how the Prince used them:



The Prince filled in the apples with the alphabet.



He then used his apple alphabet to help him alphabetize his apple words.....he is growing up so fast, it makes me teary.


BUT....we aren't finished with apples just yet.



HERE is where you can find the super cute and educational worksheets you will see in the following pictures. These came from Amy from Step into Second Grade, she posted that even though she doesn't teach Johnny A. in 2nd grade she wanted to share the worksheets she previously used in first grade. I am happy she shared.






And finally I realized there were blank apples and main idea stripes left from the Johnny A. the Prince created, so I asked him if he wanted to make up a story....he happily dictated as I wrote. The next day he used is personally created story about himself and his doggie to identify the main idea and details....




Apple and Johnny A. complete...WHEW!





2 comments:

katbox86 said...

What a great unit! You are driving me more and more toward some unit studies ;)

Queen Mom said...

Thanks, Kat! We really have been having fun ! This week we are focusing on biographies.